Tuesday, September 22, 2015

Aging: A Plea from Fatherless Sons



One of the most beautiful memories I carry is watching an older white male “adopt” some of my high school classmates. I attended high school in a low income neighborhood, and most of the students were African-American or Latino. I don’t remember his name, but I remember his good works. He lived a few houses down from the school. He would sit on his doorsteps and talk to students when school was out. He did this every single day when the weather was warm enough. The teachers knew and loved him.

He watched out for all us in that neighborhood. It wasn’t the safest. He was a “one man crime watch”, and when we saw him, we felt safe. The bond between him and the young men was undeniable. Many students were being raised by single moms, who worked for long hours outside the home. He became their second parent. I remember some students would do their homework just so he wouldn’t nag them about it. I wonder what those same students are up to today.
Read more about  A Plea from Fatherless Sons

No comments:

Post a Comment